Craving a delicious and healthy snack or light meal? Look no further than these savory sweet potato hand pies! Did you know that they are packed with a flavorful filling of sweet potatoes, onions, and mushrooms?
These gluten-free and low-fat pies are sure to satisfy your taste buds. Just mix the ingredients, let the dough rest, roll it out, and slice it into squares. Then, fill them up, fold, and seal. Voila!
Get ready to indulge in this savory sweet potato delight!
- Savory sweet potato hand pies are a delicious and healthy snack or light meal option.
- The hand pies are made with a gluten-free, low-fat pie crust and filled with a mixture of sweet potato, onion, mushroom, and green peas.
- The dough for the hand pies is made by mixing all the ingredients together and letting it rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- The hand pies can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and are best enjoyed with a salad.
The Benefits of Sweet Potatoes in Hand Pies
Including sweet potatoes in your hand pies provides numerous health benefits.
Sweet potatoes aren't only delicious, but they're also packed with essential nutrients that are good for your body. These root vegetables are rich in fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
They're also a great source of vitamins A and C, which support a strong immune system and promote healthy skin. In addition, sweet potatoes are high in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Furthermore, they contain antioxidants that protect against cellular damage and inflammation.
With their impressive nutritional value, sweet potatoes are a fantastic addition to your hand pies, ensuring that you not only satisfy your taste buds but also nourish your body.
How to Make a Gluten-Free Low-Fat Pie Crust
To make a gluten-free low-fat pie crust, you'll need just a few ingredients and some simple steps. Here are some tips and alternative options to help you create a perfect flaky pie crust:
- Use gluten-free flour blends: Opt for pre-made gluten-free flour blends that are specifically formulated for baking. These blends usually consist of a combination of gluten-free flours like rice flour, almond flour, and tapioca flour.
- Add xanthan gum: Xanthan gum is a common ingredient used in gluten-free baking to help bind the ingredients together and provide structure. It can be added to your gluten-free flour blend to improve the texture of the crust.
- Use cold ingredients: Cold ingredients, such as cold butter or vegetable shortening, help create a flaky texture in the crust. Make sure to chill your fats and liquids before using them in the dough.
Crafting Perfect Sweet Potato Hand Pie Squares
To craft perfect sweet potato hand pie squares, you'll need to follow a few simple steps. Start by rolling out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it's about 3mm thick. Then, using a sharp knife or a pastry cutter, slice the dough into 4 to 5 inch squares.
Next, spoon about 2 tablespoons of the sweet potato filling onto one half of each square, leaving the edges clean. Gently fold the other half of the square over the filling, and use a fork to seal the edges together. Finally, bake the hand pies in a preheated oven until they're golden brown and crispy.
Here are a few tips to help you perfect your sweet potato hand pies. First, make sure to let the dough rest in the fridge before rolling it out – this will help it hold its shape better. Additionally, you can experiment with different fillings to create variations of this recipe. Consider adding cheese, spinach, or even cooked bacon to the sweet potato filling for added flavor and texture.
Get creative and enjoy crafting your own delicious sweet potato hand pie squares!
Filling Your Hand Pies With Savory Sweet Potato Goodness
To fill your hand pies with savory sweet potato goodness, start by spooning about two tablespoons of the sweet potato filling onto one half of each square of dough. The filling is made by sautéing sweet potatoes, onions, mushrooms, green peas, parsley, and spring onion until they're soft and flavorful.
Here are three variations of hand pie fillings that you can try:
- Cheesy Spinach and Sweet Potato: Add sautéed spinach and a sprinkle of cheese to the sweet potato filling for a creamy and nutritious twist.
- Spicy Black Bean and Sweet Potato: Mix in some cooked black beans, diced tomatoes, and a dash of chili powder to give your hand pies a spicy kick.
- Mediterranean Veggie and Sweet Potato: Incorporate roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, and feta cheese into the sweet potato filling for a tangy and Mediterranean-inspired flavor.
These delicious combinations will take your hand pies to the next level, offering a variety of tastes to satisfy your cravings.
Serving Suggestions and Storage Tips for Hand Pies
For the best experience, enjoy your hand pies with a side of salad or soup and store any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days.
When it comes to serving suggestions, the possibilities are endless. You can pair your hand pies with a fresh green salad for a light and refreshing meal. The combination of the savory hand pies and the crisp salad leaves will create a perfect balance of flavors.
If you're looking for something heartier, try serving the hand pies with a warm bowl of soup. The warm and comforting soup will complement the hand pies beautifully.
As for storage tips, it's important to keep any leftovers in the fridge to maintain their freshness. Simply place the hand pies in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. When you're ready to enjoy them again, you can reheat them in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Get creative with your fillings and experiment with different flavors to make your hand pies even more delicious and unique.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Substitute the Sweet Potatoes With a Different Vegetable in the Hand Pies?
Yes, you can substitute sweet potatoes with a different vegetable in the hand pies. Try alternatives like butternut squash or carrots for a tasty twist. Get creative with your fillings and enjoy!
How Long Does It Take for the Sweet Potatoes to Cook in the Filling?
The sweet potatoes in the filling take about 10-15 minutes to cook until they're almost done. You can always adjust the cooking time based on your desired texture. Don't be afraid to experiment with different veggies in the recipe!
Can I Freeze the Hand Pies for Later Use?
Yes, you can freeze the hand pies for later use. Simply bake them as directed, let them cool completely, and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I Use a Different Type of Flour for the Gluten-Free Crust?
Yes, you can use a different type of flour for the gluten-free crust. Experiment with alternative flours like almond or coconut flour. Also, feel free to try different vegetables for the hand pies to suit your taste.
Can I Add Cheese to the Filling of the Hand Pies?
Yes, you can definitely add cheese to the filling of the hand pies! Get creative and experiment with different variations like cheddar, mozzarella, or even a mix of different cheeses for a delicious twist.
So, there you have it – a scrumptious and satisfying savory sweet potato hand pie that's both delicious and nutritious!
These gluten-free and low-fat treats are the perfect snack or light meal option, offering a flavorful filling wrapped in a perfectly flaky crust.
With the convenience of meal prep and the option to store them in the fridge for up to three days, these hand pies are a must-try for anyone looking for a healthy and tasty treat.
Don't wait any longer, indulge in this savory sweet potato delight today!